A broken dishwasher can be a major nuisance for a family. You’ll soon find your kitchen quickly buried in dirty dishes, and will have to take more time out of your day to keep the room clean.
But when exactly is a dishwasher “broken”? Here are a few examples of some of the most common problems that necessitate dishwasher repair in Erie County, NY:
- Dishwasher isn’t cleaning well enough: A dishwasher that isn’t getting dishes clean sort of defeats the purpose of having a dishwasher at all. Make sure the dishwasher itself is not dirty already. The problem could also be low pressure coming from the spray arms, or a buildup of mineral deposits from hard water.
- Strange noises: Most dishwashers will make at least some noise, but if you start noticing strange or particularly loud noises, you could either have a defective pump or might need to replace a wash arm seal or bearing ring. Another common problem that could lead to loud noises is spray arms that are not turning properly, and are hitting dishes or racks.
- Cloudy glasses: If you notice your glasses coming out of the dishwasher with a cloudy appearance, the problem is typically a buildup of hard water and minerals inside the dishwasher. You can find special hard water detergents to counteract this issue, or you can simply put more regular detergent inside the dishwasher. Some people install water softening systems that affect all the water in their house, which will in turn resolve this issue.
- Dishwasher not draining: If a dishwasher is not properly draining, you should check the assembly of the check valve in the drain sump. If it is not moving as it should, it probably needs to be replaced. Consider updating the drain pump or motor as well.
- Leaking dishwasher: This is one of the most potentially damaging dishwasher problems, as a leak that goes unnoticed for long periods of time could cause some significant damage to your home. Your first step should be to check the drainage hose for drainage or cracks, as well as the gaskets in the heating unit. If this doesn’t appear to be the problem, the leak could also be caused by a defective pump or pump seal. Change the seal or replace the pump if necessary. But if the door gasket is brittle or not sealing properly, that could also be the problem and need to be replaced.
- Bad smells: If you notice bad smells that linger after your dishwashing cycle is done, you should check for any trapped food or grease inside the unit in the strainer screen, sprayer arm jets or bottom edge of the door. Consider using more dishwasher cleaners or disinfectants. Make sure to rinse off dishes before you start the dishwashing cycle in the future.
These are just a few of the most common examples of dishwasher problems that people call in about. Contact us for more information about dishwasher repair in Erie County, NY.
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by admin